April 26th, 2007*
- April 26th - Last day for policy
committees to hear any bill with fiscal impact
- 3,500 bills introduced - 100's amended daily
- We review each bill and refer for analysis and a
position. We review all amended bills and refer to the board (via Lisa
Hoffman) for analysis and position.
- Special recognition to Lisa Hoffman and Charlie
Cullen for their outstanding contributions to our legislative
- CALNENA is actively tracking 10 bills.
- Political Notes -- 46 new legislators are either freshman or switched
houses. Number of freshman members creates a significant learning
- Senate -- 12 new Senators total
- 11 of 12 are former assembly members
- 9 former local government officials
- Assembly -- 34 new Assembly members plus
- 3 are former Senators
- 17 new local officials (12 city council members; 5
- Democrats still hold overwhelming majorities in
Assembly and Senate
- Senate 25-15
- Assembly 48-32
- Key legislative staff remain entirely the same and
more powerful than ever
- Only a handful of members are involved in major
policy. Very staff driven process.
- Governor's top staff going through major makeover
(Pank, Costigan, Reese, Aguire, others to come.)
- Post election legislature has lost much of its
- Governor is trying to continue to play peacemaker
between the parties
- Gov has more problems with Republicans than with
- Budget deficit of $2-3 billion will make things
MUCH more difficult.
- Assembly Republicans elect new (more conservative)
leader in Mike Villines (R-Fresno).
- New leaders likely to start jockeying for position
in both houses immediately
Legislation of Interest to CALNENA
- AB 231 (Eng) and SB 1024 (Kehoe) - Both bills seek to ensure that any
technology with access to 9-1-1 pays for that access.
- AB 942 (Krekorian) - Requires that all carriers
provide enhanced 9-1-1 service with automatic routing, ANI and
ALI. Requires the PUC to oversee this application.
- SETNA - $2-3 billion budget deficit could impact
Thank you for the continued opportunity to represent you in the halls
of the Capitol!
*Submitted by Nick Warner, CALNENA Legislative Advocate
Warner & Pank, LLC
1415 L Street, Suite 200